To succeed the credentials of a Certified Nursing Assistant in New York requires taking the training and passing the examination held after completing the training of required hours. The training courses are approved by the New York Department of Health (https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Nurseaide/Documents/new%20york/NYNAHandbook_20121029PrintVersion.pdf ).
The testing and the certificate renewal process for registered in New York is administered by the Prometric Company. But, NYS NAR i.e. New York State Nursing Home Nurse Aide Registry directs and controls the process of registration.
Employment opportunities are ample for CNAs in the state, but it needs meeting several requirements.
To become eligible for the state’s nursing aide credentials, candidates are required to meet the following basic requirements:
- Candidates must have a diploma of High School or proof of an equivalent GED;
- Candidates must have attended the age of 18 years;
- Candidates must take the pre-approved training program;
- Candidates must take and own the proof of the taken physical tests. Physical tests must include a drug screening and TB skin test;
- Candidates must take all the criminal background related tests; and
- Candidates must submit the NYS NAR (New York State Nursing Aide Registry) application form available online at the Prometric website (https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Nurseaide/Pages/NY.aspx ).
How to Apply
There are over six different ways to earn the license of a Certified Nursing Assistant in New York State. The “New Nurse Aide” is the most popular one. Other ways include:
- Reciprocity from training of other states;
- A graduated nurse;
- An RN or LPN;
- Lapsed CNA license;
- Candidates with the foreign training; or more.
To learn more about other alternative methods to obtain the certification, access the NYS Department of Health.
Those who need to take the CNA training in the state must seek the help from the list provided by the state’s Board of Nursing (http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nurseprogs-cna.htm ). The state approved training programs involves 100 hours, split between the classroom learning of 75 hours and remaining for hands on learning in a clinical setting. The courses usually take around 12-to-14 weeks to finish.
Expenses of only CNA training that is without the testing fees in New York roughly go around $ 700 to $ 1000. The competency exam is taken through the Prometric services. Testing can be done at “in facility” locations (for instance, nursing facility where CNA took the training) or at the regional examination location, which are obtainable by the online application process.
Testing fee varies in the state. Different amount is charged for oral, written, re-taken tests or when reciprocity is used. Here are the updated fees:
Reciprocity testing: $ 50
Both Written and Practical: $ 115
Orally administered tests: $135
- The expiry period of the CNA certification is 24 months.
- CNAs are needed to provide the proof of the paid employment of at least 7 hours during the recent 2 years in order to apply for the licence renewal.
- No reminders mail prior to the license expiration is sent to CNAs.
- The license renewal fee is $ 40.
Must Know Facts
- Candidates must take and qualify the Prometric testing within the 2 years of the completion of the state’s CNA training.
- Candidates may work as a certified nursing aide even without earning the CNA credentials, if they are waiting for the licensing- paperwork to get finished or enrolled in the training course.
- Defined categories of convictions may hinder students to work in a healthcare agency or nursing home. To know whether those categories are applicable to them, they should visit to the Department of health Regulations title 10, NYCRR Part 402. If yes, candidates can provide the proof of rehabilitation for special contemplation.
- Passionate about nursing? Further your career by enrolling in GCU's RN to BSN program or Master of Science in Nursing program.
- The CCNE-accredited RN to BSN program is designed for registered nurses with an associate degree or diploma in nursing who are looking to further their education.
- The Master of Science in Nursing degrees are designed for BSN-prepared nurses who wish to broaden their knowledge in a specialty area.
- The College of Nursing and Health Care Professions has been providing outstanding health care education for over 30 years.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid & more!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Nursing (Post-licensure) - Bachelor
- Nursing Administration - Master's
- Nursing Education - Master's