To succeed the credentials of a Certified Nursing Assistant in New York requires taking the training and passing the examination held after completing the training of required hours. The training courses are approved by the New York Department of Health (https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Nurseaide/Documents/new%20york/NYNAHandbook_20121029PrintVersion.pdf ).
The testing and the certificate renewal process for registered in New York is administered by the Prometric Company. But, NYS NAR i.e. New York State Nursing Home Nurse Aide Registry directs and controls the process of registration.
Employment opportunities are ample for CNAs in the state, but it needs meeting several requirements.
To become eligible for the state’s nursing aide credentials, candidates are required to meet the following basic requirements:
- Candidates must have a diploma of High School or proof of an equivalent GED;
- Candidates must have attended the age of 18 years;
- Candidates must take the pre-approved training program;
- Candidates must take and own the proof of the taken physical tests. Physical tests must include a drug screening and TB skin test;
- Candidates must take all the criminal background related tests; and
- Candidates must submit the NYS NAR (New York State Nursing Aide Registry) application form available online at the Prometric website (https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Nurseaide/Pages/NY.aspx ).
How to Apply
There are over six different ways to earn the license of a Certified Nursing Assistant in New York State. The “New Nurse Aide” is the most popular one. Other ways include:
- Reciprocity from training of other states;
- A graduated nurse;
- An RN or LPN;
- Lapsed CNA license;
- Candidates with the foreign training; or more.
To learn more about other alternative methods to obtain the certification, access the NYS Department of Health.
Those who need to take the CNA training in the state must seek the help from the list provided by the state’s Board of Nursing (http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/nurse/nurseprogs-cna.htm ). The state approved training programs involves 100 hours, split between the classroom learning of 75 hours and remaining for hands on learning in a clinical setting. The courses usually take around 12-to-14 weeks to finish.
Expenses of only CNA training that is without the testing fees in New York roughly go around $ 700 to $ 1000. The competency exam is taken through the Prometric services. Testing can be done at “in facility” locations (for instance, nursing facility where CNA took the training) or at the regional examination location, which are obtainable by the online application process.
Testing fee varies in the state. Different amount is charged for oral, written, re-taken tests or when reciprocity is used. Here are the updated fees:
Reciprocity testing: $ 50
Both Written and Practical: $ 115
Orally administered tests: $135
- The expiry period of the CNA certification is 24 months.
- CNAs are needed to provide the proof of the paid employment of at least 7 hours during the recent 2 years in order to apply for the licence renewal.
- No reminders mail prior to the license expiration is sent to CNAs.
- The license renewal fee is $ 40.
Must Know Facts
- Candidates must take and qualify the Prometric testing within the 2 years of the completion of the state’s CNA training.
- Candidates may work as a certified nursing aide even without earning the CNA credentials, if they are waiting for the licensing- paperwork to get finished or enrolled in the training course.
- Defined categories of convictions may hinder students to work in a healthcare agency or nursing home. To know whether those categories are applicable to them, they should visit to the Department of health Regulations title 10, NYCRR Part 402. If yes, candidates can provide the proof of rehabilitation for special contemplation.
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Master of Science in Nursing/Nurse Education
- Master of Health Administration/Master of Business Administration/Project Management
- Master of Health Administration/Master of Business Administration/Sustainability Management
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- MS - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical college offering over 30 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in Technical Career Education in southern New England, New England Tech is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years.
- Associate in Science Degree in Nursing
- Associate in Science in Clinical Medical Assistant Technology