The Frontier Graduate School of Midwifery was established in 1939 by the Frontier Nursing Service (FNS) with an aim and project for the care of the mother and child around Kentucky rural areas. The addition of FNP program in 1970 led to change of the name of the school as the FSMFN, which also reflected the FNP program addition. The founding member of the Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing in Hyden, KY was Breckinridge.
Frontier Nursing School is a leader in providing distance education to nurses and nurse practitioners in nurse-midwifery, family health and women’s health. The mission of the school is also for the students to complete their education in Masters Specialties sitting at their home through online and complete their clinical hands-on experience at health care facilities of their own area.
Frontier Nursing School was termed as the Best Graduate School of America in 2008 by U.S. News.
Students have the option of earning a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree and post-master’s certificates leading to education as a certified nurse-midwife (CNM), family nurse practitioner (FNP), and/or a women’s health care nurse practitioner (WHCNP) through the Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing (FSMFN).
The didactic course works are web-based and distance education courses offers a student opportunity to complete their course without leaving their home place. Students are required to attend two on-campus sessions, the first one is an orientation prior to beginning studies, and the next one is intensive skill workshops before the start of the clinical practicum.
- Non-Matriculating Students based courses
- MSN Completion
- Post-Master’s Completion
- WHCNP for CNEP Graduates
- ADN-MSN Bridge program
- The accreditation to Frontier School of Midwifery & Family Nursing (FSMFN) is granted by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award masters degrees and doctoral degrees.
- FSMFN is licensed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky Council of Postsecondary Education to offer a DNP degree and both certificates and a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) for nurse-midwifery, family nurse practitioner, and women’s health care nurse practitioner specialties.
- FSMFN School is accredited by the ACNM Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education
- ACME accredits the nurse-midwifery post-masters certificate program and master’s program
- the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission accredits the MSN program and the post-master’s certificate programs
- FSMFN accredits the nurse-midwifery, family nurse practitioner, and women’s health care nurse practitioner tracks,
Financial Aid Services has primary goal to assist students in obtaining finance for their education of master’s specialty for offering health care in rural and underserved areas.
Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing
195 School Street
Hyden, Kentucky 41749
Phone: (606) 672-2312
Fax: (606) 672-3776