Mississippi is also facing nursing shortage, similar to other states in America. Such shortage scenario has compelled the State to attract the new entrants to nursing field by alluring them with the offers of Student Financial Aid, such as Nursing Education Loan Scholarship Program (NELS), Nursing Teacher Stipend Program, special loans, grants, scholarships, work contracts, and loan forgiveness programs.
Different nursing degree programs, nursing specialty programs, doctorate degrees and Ph.D. are offered by various schools, community colleges, and the university campus and online.
The main nursing education centers are The Mississippi University for Women, located in Columbus, University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg. Other cities such as Meridian, Gulfport, Poplaville and Natchez also host varieties of nursing programs.
It is also necessary that the degree programs offered by different nursing institutes should be accredited by national and state approved US Nursing commissions such as National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission, Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or Mississippi State Board of Nursing.
The main aim of the Mississippi Board of Nursing is to protect the public welfare through the process of licensure and regulation of nursing.
Mississippi Nursing Degree Programs
- Practical Nurses For non-participating nurses (LPN/RN) in the state of Mississippi who are interested in returning to active practice
- Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education Administration
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
- MS in Nursing
- MS in Nursing/Health Care Education
- MS in Nursing/MBA/Health Care Management
- MS in Nursing/Nurse Practitioner
- RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- B.S. in Nursing (BSN)
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) – BSN Track
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) – RN Track
- Ph.D. in Public Health
- Post-Masters Certificates in Nursing – Nursing Education
- MS in Nursing/Nurse Administrator
- MS in Nursing/Nurse Educator
- RN to BS in Nursing
- RN to MS in Nursing
By attending these campus and online nursing programs, a student can start bright career in nursing field.