The state of Illinois, similar to other states of America is also facing acute nurse’s shortage due to constant health care needs of ageing population, increased population, and baby bloomers. To meet the demand of nurse and to overcome practicing nurse shortages, numerous nursing schools have been opened in the state of Illinois. These nursing schools train the nurses and prepare nurse educators, who in turn assist in preparing new nurses by teaching in various nursing schools.
A nursing aspiring student can find many campuses and online schools in Illinois that offers different types of nursing programs for entry level nursing career as well as for advance level nursing education, including specialty, masters and doctorate. One can complete various nursing courses, such as Associate Degree Programs, Baccalaureate Degree Programs, Entry Level Masters Programs, Accelerated Programs or RN Programs from different nursing schools located at various parts of Illinois.
Most of the Nursing Schools in Illinois programs are accredited by either the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC or NLN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
You must also remember that all nursing schools and their programs in IL must be approved by Board of Nursing Illinois, which is a regulatory state agency to approve, disapprove, manage and regulate these schools and programs.
Basic Nursing Degrees offered by Illinois schools include:
- Illinois Nursing Degree
- Applied Science Degree in Health Information
- Nurse Educator Certificate program
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Degree
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Registered Nurse to BSN Accelerated
- RN to BSN Adult Degree Completion
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- PhD in Nursing
- MS in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- BS in School Health Education
Further Illinois Nursing Degrees includes:
- LPN to ASN
LPN to RN
- LPN to BSN
- LVN to BSN
- Diploma/Foreign Trained RN to BSN (must be licensed RN)
- RN to MSN
- Master of Science in Nursing MSN, BSN to MSN
It is also to be noted that there are certain prerequisites, such as entrance tests that are essential to get into the nursing colleges including, Registered Nurse Entrance Exam, Nursing Entrance Test, Psychological Services Bureau, Critical Thinking Entrance Exam and Test of Essential Academic Skills.