To become a certified nursing assistant in the state of Michigan involve some steps. The preliminary step is to attend the nurse aide program, which is regulated by the ‘Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs’ (LARA). The next step is to appear for the exam, which is conducted by the Prometric. When applicants pass the exam then they are placed in the Michigan’s Nursing Aide Registry and become qualified to work as a CNA in the state.
Before candidates apply for the nursing aide certification in Michigan, they must meet the requirements set by the Nursing Board of the state. They are as follows-
- Candidates must complete 18 years of age;
- Candidates must possess the diploma of High School or proof of GED;
- Candidates must free from criminal background. For this, they must take and submit the documents providing the proof of a complete background check;
- Candidates must undertake the complete physical test, including the fingerprinting test, drug screening, TB testing, and proof of the latest immunizations.
How to Apply
Some aspirants can forgo the training program and directly apply for the competency exam. Such privilege is enjoyed by the following candidates-
- Candidates who are enrolled in the program of LPN or RN and have completed a basic course in nursing;
- Candidates who hold the CNA certification(active or expired for the past 12 months) of other state; or
- Candidates with documents of state’s registry with the grace period of 60 days or expired in the previous 2 years.
Average CNA training expenses in Michigan are $ 1000, and it takes around 4 months to finish the state approved nursing training. Apart from this, there are testing fees as well. They are-
- Both Practical and Written – $ 76.50 to Prometric and $ 100 to the testing site.
- Knowledge only – $ 30.50 to Prometric and $ 15 to the test site.
- Clinical only- $ 34 to Prometric and $ 85 to the test site.
The CNA licensure expire in 2 years, and only those candidates can renew their nursing aide credentials who have worked for minimum 8 consecutive hours in the past 2 years as a paid CNAs.
Must know Facts
- CNAs disappear from the state’s registry when their nursing aide certificates expire.
- A sample test is available at the Prometric’s Michigan website – https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Nurseaide/Documents/Michigan/MICNACIB_20121026_Final.pdf
- Nursing assistants flagged on the state’s registry for misappropriation of property, neglect or resident abuse are not eligible to apply for the certificate renewal.
- Expenses on training and testing of the candidates, who are employed at nursing facilities during the training, are borne by their employers.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (MSN)
- Nursing (BS)
Concordia College-New York M.S. Degree Programs Online
Concordia College-New York offers accredited, innovative graduate degrees online to help you advance your career and become a transformative leader. We provide an online graduate experience that combines academic excellence with faith-based values to create ethical, effective leaders ready to improve their workplaces, their communities, and the world at large. Concordia New York is an accredited, nonprofit college with an academic tradition dating back more than 130 years. We offer a quality, affordable education that separates true innovation from trends, and best practices from buzzwords.
- B.S. in RN to BS Nursing