Board of Nursing is a part of the Division of Professional Regulation, constituting 15 members from different spheres of nursing field and public.Board of Nursing in this state is also referred as The Board.
The basic mission of the Board is safety, welfare and protection of Delaware public and citizen’s health. The mission is achieved by implementing effective rules and regulations for the licensure and practice of professional and practical nursing.
It is the responsibility of the Board to issue licenses through examination and endorsement, evaluate and oversee the nursing education programs offered throughout the state, conduct hearings and investigate violations by licensees and take disciplinary actions and sanctions, when required.
The Board also offers administrative and investigative services to Delaware citizens, agencies of other states and private organizations, and professional license applicants and holders.
DE Nurse Aide Registry is also managed, regulated and maintained by the Board.
The basic functions of the board include:
- Assistance to License seekers and applicants
- Issue and renew licenses
- Maintain a licensing database for public information and knowledge, report licensees renewal period, inform about CE necessity, and to assist state and federal agencies for their mission’s accomplishment.
- Respond to the public, other state and national agencies and private organization’s inquiries for Delaware licensed professionals.
- Investigate consumer complaints against practicing licensee
- Follow Administrative Procedures Act by partnering with the Attorney General’s Office for complaint disposition and disciplinary proceedings.
- Oversee implementation of the Delaware Code and applicable rules and regulations for testing, licensing, disciplinary proceedings, rule making and other regulatory activities carried out by all board/commission.
- Assist in Sunset Committee review process and implement committee’s recommendations.
Every year the Board’s licensing division issues 13,000 new licenses and renews 26,500 licenses. The division also receives around 500 & more complaints and investigates 400 to 500 complaints.
The contact details of the Board:
Board of Nursing Delaware
861 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904
Phone: (302) 744-4500
Fax: (302) 739-2711