Board of Nursing Maine comprises of 9 Board members that are appointed by the Governor. The board members represent nursing field and public. Out of 9 members, 6 members are professional nurses, one licensed practical nurse and two public members and, they are appointed for a term of 4 years.
The prerequisite for the appointment of members are as follows:
- A citizen of the United States
- A resident of this State for three continuous years prior to appointment
- Must file an oath of office with the Secretary of State before beginning the service
- Must be a graduate from ME state-approved nursing educational program
- Holds a current state license to practice nursing;
- Must have at least three years’ experience in active nursing practice immediately before the appointment
The mission of the Board of Nursing Maine is to protect public health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of ME through different means, such as licensing, evaluation of their competency, education and others.
The law and Maine state Nurse Practice Act also authorize the board to review regulations proposed to board, make policy decisions, and take disciplinary actions on these nursing professionals that are responsible for violations of practice and violates the law.
The basic function of the board is as under:
- Develop and prescribe Curricula (educational programs) for licensure.
- Conduct surveys of the programs, whenever, it deems necessary.
- Approve nursing educational programs that meet the requirements of state and federal law and board approval.
- Approve, disapprove or put on probation any nursing educational programs that fail to meet approved curricula or other standards as required by the law and Practice Act.
- Examine, license and renew the licenses of qualified applicants;
Other services and information offered by the Maine State Board of Nursing are as under:
- Licensing & Renewals
- Contact Us
- Disciplinary Actions
- LAWS & RULES Board of Nursing
- Practice Questions
- Maine Approved RN Programs
- Complaint Filing
- Online RN or LPN License Renewal
- Maine License Verification
- Information for Licensure by Examination (RN) and (LPN)
- Register to Take NCLEX Examination
- Endorsement from another State (RN) and (LPN)
- Information for Graduates of Nursing Schools in Canada (RN) and (LPN)
- Information for Graduates of Foreign Nursing Programs (other than Canada)(RN) and (LPN)
- Information & Application Nurse Practitioner
- Information & Application Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
- Information & Application Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Information & Application Certified Nurse Midwife
- Request for NURSYS License Verification
- Declaration of Primary State of Residence
The following CNA information and services can be availed from LSBN:
- CNA Registry
- Board Criteria for Additional CNA Additional Skills Training
- CNA Prescribed Curriculum
- PSS Curriculum Text and Related Resources
- Decision Tree for CNA Approved Skills
The contact details of Board of Nursing Maine are as under
Maine State Board of Nursing
161 Capitol St.
158 State House Station
Augusta, Maine , 04333-0158
Phone: (207) 287-1133
Fax: (207) 287-1149