The mission of the Oregon State Board of Nursing is to protect the public’s health and well-being by offering guidance and promulgating regulation for entry into the nursing profession, nursing education for safe practice.
The Board of Nursing Oregon is an agency within Oregon state government.
The board constitutes 9 members which include 4 registered nurses, 1 licensed practical nurses, 1 Certified Nurse Assistant, 1 Nurse Practitioner and 2 (two) public member appointed by the governor. The appointed RNs represent various nursing practice field, such as nurse educator, nurse administrator and direct care non-supervisory nurses. The serving duration of the board members is for 3 years and members represent a variety of geographic locations. Board members serve three-year terms.
Every year board holds 11 meetings, which include five, two-day in-person meetings and six teleconferenced meetings and, if it deemed necessary they may even hold a special meeting. All board meetings are open for the public. There are 50 staff members in the board to assist in the Board functions for achieving its mission and customer service.
The basic function of the OSBN includes:
- Defines licensure and certification requirements;
- Implement the Oregon Nurse Practice Act;
- Approves/ disapprove and evaluates nursing education programs and nursing assistant training programs all over the Oregon state;
- Issues/Renewals of licenses
- Review and investigates complaints for practice violations of Oregon Nurse Practice Act by the licensee and takes disciplinary action against the act violators.
- Regulate, manage and maintain the nursing aide registry, administers competency evaluations exam and enforce disciplinary sanctions on nursing assistants.
- Offer testimony to the legislature and other organizations as and when required.
Different types of programs developed by the board for RNs, LPNs, NPs, CRNAs, CNs, CNAs and CMs prepare an individual for licensure and certification in their respective nursing practice field.
The OSBN also offer following services and information:
- About Board
- Administrative Rules
- Meetings & Minutes
- Current Topics & Recent Discipline
- Employment Opportunities
- Advanced Practice
- RN/LPN Practice Policies
- Board Policies
- CNA 2 Registry and CNA-Related Information
- Educational Programs: RN, LPN, CNA & CMA
- File a Licensee Complaint
- Pain Management CE
- RNFA Registry
Contact details of OSBN
Oregon State Board of Nursing
17938 SW Upper Boones Ferry Rd.
Portland, Oregon 97224-7012
General Office Number: 971-673-0685
To Make a Complaint concerning a Nurse or Nursing Assistant: 971-673-0678