The rich legacy of the Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing (BHSN) can be best understood by the facts that, after its incorporation in 1878 and opening in 1884, BHSN was one of the only 15 nursing schools in the country. Today, the school can boast of being, not only the oldest school of nursing in Connecticut but also one of the oldest in the country. With initial graduation of 6 students in 1889, the school has graduated nearly 5000 nurses till date.
Initially, original school had its location within the main hospital but in 1915, Elizabeth Oliver Hall; a separate facility known by this name was constructed. In 1947 a new wing was added. Simultaneously, a tunnel under the road was constructed for easy student’s walkway, connecting the school with the hospital.
The National League for nursing accredited BHSN in 1952 and till date school maintained its accreditation through NLNAC. Originally, school used to provide and also known as a three year diploma school, the programs scheduled a two year accredited curriculum about 25 years ago. The school also offers a 2-year RN program, with an evening options and a 15 month accelerated track option. Students also get opportunity to complete a 15 month accelerated track option, the 10 month surgical technician program and a 5 week sterile processing technician program.
The basic courses offered by Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing include
- Diploma in Nursing – An intensive two-year hospital-based nursing program comprising of forty credits in nursing and thirty credits in biological, behavioral and social sciences is offered. The program also includes Diploma Program, Associate Degree Option with Diploma, Partial Evening RN Program, Accelerated RN Program and LPN to RN program.
- Surgical Technology – surgical technician program has completion duration of 10 months.
- Sterile Processing Technician Program – This program is offered under the guidelines established by the Certification Board of Sterile Processing and Distribution and consists of both classroom education and clinical experience, which has completion duration of ten days over a 3-5 week period. The completion of the program allows a student to sit for the Sterile Processing Technician certification examination.
BHSN Accreditation and Affiliations
- The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Inc.
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
- State of Connecticut Department of Public Health
- Board of Examiners for Nursing
- National Program on Non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction
- Housatonic Community College
- Yale New Haven Health System
Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing
200 Mill Hill Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06610
Phone: (203) 384-3205
Fax: (203) 384-3046