If you are searching for the oldest nursing school in United States of America, Long Island College Hospital School of Nursing (LICHSON) can be termed as one of the oldest running nursing schools nationally. LICHSON was founded in 1883 and even after 125 years of its inception, the school is educating and preparing nurses for the future till date, with the same teaching excellence for offering competent quality cares.
Long Island College Hospital School of Nursing concentrates on a single-purpose higher education to offer education of associate degree registered nurses.The graduated nurses from LICHSON bear leadership role and offer clinical care in a number of health care facilities and setting all over the tri-state area. The graduates from the school are also eligible to appear for the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN).
- An Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree in Nursing
- Duration of the course is 2 years.
- Day Division Curriculum can be completed in 2 years.
- Evening Division Curriculum takes 3 years for completion.
- Liberal arts and biological science courses are offered at St. Francis College.
- For nursing courses, schedule is fixed for either two or three days a week, facilitating students to work part time, while continuing with their nursing education and attending the school.
- The complete program comprises of four semesters plus one intervening summer session.
- Each nursing Courses – “C” (75 or 2.0) minimum grade must be maintained
- Previously failed nursing courses – of “B” (80 or 3.0) is to be maintained
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0.
- Pass both clinical and theoretical class components of the training
Accreditation and Affiliation
- Registered by the University of the State of New York-The State Education Department
- Accredited by The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)
- A member of the Commission of Independent Colleges and Universities
- a member of the New York State Associate Degree Nursing Council
Long Island College Hospital of Brooklyn School of Nursing
350 Henry Street, 7thFloor, Brooklyn, NY 11201