Christ Hospital School of Nursing is part of Christ Hospital. The hospital was founded by Reverend Richard Mason Abercrombie in 1872 and is affiliated with the Episcopal Diocese of Newark.
The Christ Hospital School of Nursing saw its inception in 1890, when it was established by Sister Gertrude Amy Trufant of the Sisters of St. Margaret, an order of the Episcopal Church. For over 100 years and more, the school of nursing has been preparing the nurses for honorable nursing profession in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Christ Hospital School of Nursing has also partnered with Hudson County Community College (HCCC) in Jersey City, for offering general education and related science courses in the partnered college. The graduation earns students a diploma in nursing and an Associate Degree in Science. The Hudson County Community College was founded in 1981 and it was during 1999 the School of Nursing managed to form the cooperative program with the HCCC.
Christ Hospital School of Nursing offers a basic course of study in nursing in conjunction with Hudson County Community College in a Time Frame Offerings of separate day and evening classes.
- Day Division: The students, who are enrolled for day classes attend classes and clinical hands-on experience during the daytime.
- Evening Division: In the same way, the students, who are enrolled for evening classes attend classes and clinical hands-on experience in the evening including select weekends.
- During weekend the students can also avail many non-nursing courses that are offered on the weekends.
The time duration for the completion of Program for both Day and Evening classes is within 3 years from the start of the first Nursing Course.
The nursing theory classes constitute of as many as 60 students, where the ration of faculty to teacher is 1:10.
The Nursing Program instructs following courses
- Nursing Course
- Simple Acute and Simple Chronic Nursing
- Community Nursing Component:
There are also certain prerequisites for the enrollment and admission to the nursing school and that include:
- Official High School and/or College Transcript(s)
- High School Chemistry or College Chemistry Course. (Biology and Algebra recommended)
- The NLN Pre-Nursing Examination-RN or SAT score of 440 Math -480 Verbal
- High School Diploma or Graduate Equivalency Diploma
- Satisfactory achievement on the NLN Pre-Nursing Examination-RN or SAT score of 440 Math -480 Verbal
- Satisfactory personal interview
- Two (2) letters of reference
- Pre Entrance Exam
- Criminal Background Check
Accreditation and Accolades
- Christ Hospital School of Nursing has been accredited and received approval from New Jersey Board of Nursing and National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Inc.,
- Christ Hospital School of Nursing Designated as NLN Center of Excellence in Nursing Education for 2009 — 2012 by the National League of Nursing (NLN).
The school of Nursing is member of
- Northeast Coalition of Hospital Based Schools of Nursing
- National League for Nursing
- New Jersey League for Nursing
- Association of Diploma Schools of Professional Nursing in New Jersey
Christ Hospital School of Nursing is affiliated with
- Christ Hospital, Jersey City, NJ
- Hoboken University, Hoboken, NJ
- Jersey City Medical Center, Jersey City, NJ
- Meadowlands Hospital, Secaucus, NJ
- Palisade Medical Center, North Bergen, NJ
- Promise Care, Jersey City, NJ
- St. Anne Home Jersey City , NJ
- St. James Hospital, Newark, NJ
Christ Hospital School of Nursing has been approved for the Veteran Training.
Christ Hospital School of Nursing
176 Palisade Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306
Christ Hospital School of Nursing:
Hudson County Community College www.hccc.edu